LEGACY 2023: ArtIst Kwame Delfish
Black excellence is unique! Its uniqueness lies in the ability of individuals to obtain a high level of achievement, success, or demonstrate rare ability that makes them the exception to the rule. Artist, Kwame Delfish epitomizes this definition of Black excellence as he has achieved incredible things with his talent.
Delfish marched his way into history as the first Caribbean Canadian to design a coin illustrative of Canada for the Royal Canadian Mint. Delfish received a rare second opportunity to create a coin for the Mint. The coin was a limited edition $20 tribute to Black History and The Underground Railroad. Like the circular endless journey on the coins Delfish has produced, there is no end to the affect his contribution to Black history in Canada has made.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What is Black excellence and what makes it unique?
- Who is Kwame Delfish and what is his contribution to Black excellence?
- What is the significance of Delfish's achievement as the first Caribbean Canadian to design a coin for the Royal Canadian Mint?
- What is the design of the coin that Delfish created for the Royal Canadian Mint and what does it represent?
- What is the significance of Delfish being given a rare second opportunity to design a coin for the Mint?
- What is the value of the limited edition $20 coin that Delfish designed?
- How has Delfish's contribution impacted Black history in Canada?
- What other achievements has Delfish made with his talent?
- What qualities make Delfish an example of Black excellence?
- How does Delfish's story inspire others to strive for excellence?
CRITICAL THINKING QUESTIONS:
- What are the main barriers to entry for Black entrepreneurs in Canada?
- How does access to funding and capital differ for Black entrepreneurs compared to their non-Black counterparts?
- What impact do systemic racism and discrimination have on the success of Black-owned businesses in Canada?
- How can the Canadian government and private sector support the growth of Black-owned businesses?
- What role do mentorship and networking play in the success of Black entrepreneurs in Canada?
- How does the lack of diversity in venture capital and angel investing affect the success of Black-led startups in Canada?
- How can Black entrepreneurs in Canada build a strong and sustainable customer base?
- What steps can be taken to increase the visibility and representation of Black-owned businesses in mainstream media?
- How can Black entrepreneurs in Canada leverage technology and digital platforms to grow their businesses?
- What are some effective strategies for Black entrepreneurs in Canada to overcome discrimination and bias in the workplace?